The Wellington Rooms, or as it is often commonly referred to, The Irish Centre was designed by the architect Edmund Aikin and built between 1815–1816 as a subscription assembly room for the Wellington Club. It was originally used by high society for dance balls and parties.
Neo-classical in style the building's façade is Grade II* listed, but it is now blackened and the building is derelict, a reflection on the changing wealth and fashions in the city. As the Irish centre it was a popular clubbing venue, renowned for its excellent Guinness, pictures of the Everton and Irish football teams, high ceilings and period decor in the main hall. A petition was organised to prevent the building's closure, but this was ultimately unsuccessful and the centre shut its doors for the last time in 1997.
Having been derelict for some years, the future of the Wellington Rooms looks more positive with a partnership between a building preservation trust and a dance development not-for-profit organisation submitting plans to conserve the building and adapt them to be used as a National Dance Centre serving the Northwest of England. A recent group called 'Irish friends of 127' have launched their campaign to turn the Wellington rooms back into an Irish Centre.