The vet school, l'école de médecine vétérinaire, is known as "Horror Labs" because of what is housed inside. It used to be bustling and filled with students, but once the school was officially moved to The University of Liège from Brussels in 1991, the 19 buildings stood empty. Empty, that is, if you don't count the unspeakable horrors stored inside of the old classrooms. What was left behind in the school, although extremely creepy to the layman, was used to educate veterinary school students. The pickled animals or organs may seem like an archaic way to study other life forms, but it was used as a legitimate study tool.
This impressive site is a set of 19 distinct houses, pleasantly separated by courts and gardens. All the façades are neo-Renaissance Flemish style.
The buildings, dated from early 1900's, have been listed as a historical monument on the 22nd February 1990. Since this relocation, the site is abandoned.
Open cases and jars display body parts floating in formaldehyde. They were once used to familiarise the students with what to expect during surgical procedures.
Since 2013 the specimens have been cleared and the buildings are to undergo renovation to become apartments.